Wednesday, December 9, 2009

CHAYEI SARAH

WELLS AND CAMELS

The most kid-friendly episode in this parsha is meeting Rivka at the well. It is an easy positive message that they can understand. Rivka was chosen because of the kindness and generosity that she displayed in feeding the servant and the camels. So, our focus was on wells and camels. The internet is amazing...by googling for well crafts, I discovered this beautiful blog "Inna's Creations" that had a tutorial on how to make a toy well out of a milk carton - perfect!

From well


I made the one above (with my husband's help designing the actual pulley system!)When I did the project with Maya, I added a fun element by having her glue on brown shapes to the carton so that it looked like bricks.

From well


I also had photos available so that she understood what different water wells actually looked like.
From well


We used the two wells that we made as centerpieces on our Shabbos table which sparked conversation between the kids and the guests about their significance.

Then, we needed camels. My inspiration for making camel cookies came straight from Juggling Frogs. This woman is amazing and makes cookies and cakes for every parsha. She didn't have camel cookie cutters so she made her own!

I could not be bothered with making tin foil cookie cutters so I just cut out a paper template and used it over and over again to cut out the shape of a camel from the cookie dough. To be honest, this was a total disaster. Again, my husband had to come to the rescue in order to prevent me from having a complete meltdown. He was patient and precise and made it work. Some of the cookies looked more like elephants or hippos but we also had some good results and they made for a fabulous dessert and the girls loved it. Below you will see the good, the bad, and the beheaded...

From camels


From camels


From camels


From camels


From camels


From camels


From camels


I have since found and purchased a Noah's ark cookie cutter set that has a camel! I am ready for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment